Omogo Gorge Canyoning

Omogo Gorge Canyoning


What?

Omogo Kei Gorge (面河渓) is a beautiful valley with loads of rapids and waterfalls perfect for canyoning. The cliffs and rocky walls just let enough sunshine in to lit up the crystal clear and emerald blue water of the Omogo River. The service here is offered by Good River canyoning.

Where?

Like most remote spots in Shikoku, it’s not impossible to reach Omogokei Gorge with public transport, but some serious planning is needed. So again I would recommend a rental car to reach this beautiful valley deep into Ehime Prefecture.


URL

Visit Ehime
Good River (JP)

For my driving trip I had planned two hikes, but I gave up on the one in Kajigamori because of bad road conditions and I cancelled climbing Mount Ishizuchi due to bad weather forecast and a broken finger.
That broken finger happened a day earlier during a session of canyoning.

As I now am well aware, driving in Shikoku is challenging. The canyoning adventure was planned in the beautiful Omogo Gorge, and to get there I had to cross the Kuromori Pass (黒森峠). I wasn’t very keen on what it would bring me – remembering my failed attempt to get to Kajigamori, but it turned out to be a beautiful drive. Some sections were small but I never thought the drive dangerous. And along the way there were some beautiful views of terrace fields and the valley below, so I definitely enjoyed the drive.


The activity itself was... well it was canyoning. Sliding down rapids and jumping of waterfalls, I hurt my finger the moment I stepped into the water and slipped. I didn’t mind though, I had way too much fun and was too busy taking in the gorgeous surroundings. There are some bits and pieces that you would find anywhere in Japan, but of course the guide knows his stuff and he kept the best for last. A waterfall that suspiciously looked like a waterslide flowed beautifully in a clear blue pond. Just perfect for both those who seek a thrill and those who seek relaxation. This place would also be fantastic for hiking and does actually serve as trailhead for a long ascent to Mount Ishizuchi.

I am definitely climbing that mountain one time of another, but for now I would replace it by a few hours of canoeing in on the Niyodo river across the prefectural border in Kochi.



>>More pictures<<

Yoris

Just dwelling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment