The Akame 48 Waterfalls



What?

The Akame 48 Waterfalls (赤目四十八滝) are a collection of cascades over 4 kilometers of the same stream. An easy to walk path has been made alongside the stream for easy access. The area has been said to serve as practice grounds for ninja and that can be seen in the small touristic village at the entrance of the falls.
The area is also home to the Japanese giant salamander, although you shouldn’t get your hopes up at meeting one in the wild as it’s an almost extinct species. You can learn about the though at the small Japanese Salamander Center in the same touristic village.

Where?

Though a little bit out of the way, the Akame 48 Waterfalls in Mie Prefecture (三重県) are fairly easy to access. Kintetsu Railways (近鉄) connects Osaka-Uehommachi Station (大阪上本町駅) with Akameguchi Station (赤目口駅) in one straight line. From Akameguchi Station it’s either a 10 minute bus ride to the falls or a one hour walk.


URL

Akame 48 Waterfalls
Nabari Tourism

I can very well understand that not every natural touristic attraction can be as pristine and untouched by humans as let’s say Mount Ryozen. In that sense I have absolutely no problem with the paths that have been paved next to the stream and waterfalls. It gives the opportunity to any person who doesn’t suffer from a serious physical disability to come and see. That such results in a by time crowded experience is an unfortunate but unavoidable thing.
I do have problems though with being charged to go and see nature. Because if you want to visit the falls via the normal route, they make you pay up 500 yen.

There are ways around that though. And I explored two of them. The first: arrive early.
They will charge you from 9am and put a plate somewhere with a text that should make you refrain from going forward outside the “opening hours”. Ignore the plate.
An added bonus is that not many people will do this, so you have the place pretty much for yourself. I entered around 7:40 and encountered only one other adventurer.

The second way: take the mountain route. But later on that.

There aren’t really 48 waterfalls. That’s just a number to express that there are multiple falls. But I must say: they really tried to find 48. They named every small and bluntly said insignificant cascade, probably so they could boast about having so many. In truth, only 4 or 5 were worth having a name, and only the Ninai Falls gave me a “wow” experience.
Not that the walk and the falls are worthless, but they might not be worth going all the way there and pay to see them - even if it’s just 500 yen.
The falls are pretty. Strolling along the stream (with no one around) was nice. Pretty and nice. That’s the correct way to describe the Akame Falls.


Back to the mountain route. Instead of just tracing my way back to the entrance I took a detour over Mount Nagasakayama (長坂山). With 584m it’s not the greatest peak around. Nor did it seem to me that the top would give me any views. But I still wanted to climb it if only to avoid walking the same road twice.
The trail starts somewhere in the middle of the waterfall path. It immediately goes up very steep, but it doesn’t take that long to reach a ridge. There are a few open spots with a more or less clear view. I found these views interesting because they weren’t the usually desired 360 degrees panoramic vistas, but rather made you feel like being in the jungle as nearby hills impressively looked like they were leaning over.

Nagasakayama is very much like the waterfalls: it’s nice, not more or less. So do I regret making the climb? Absolutely not. In contrast to the falls, signs and benches and stalls were absent which made for a more natural experience. The few views were pretty and I had the whole hill/mountain for myself. Only for that last point it was already worth it.
The hiking route leaves the forest on a paved road from where it is a ten minute walk to the fall’s main entrance. So if you’re adventurous, that’s your way to avoid the ridiculous charge.

All in all I am glad I went, but I am even more glad that I went so early. Apart from the lone admirer of the falls I had the place to myself. And that’s something that money can’t buy.



>>More pictures<<


Yoris

Just dwelling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment