According to Mount Fuji I Am Wise



What?

Mount Fuji is the tallest mountain in Japan at 3776 meters. It’s more than a mountain to the Japanese though. It’s an integral part of their culture and even now, many Japanese want to try at least once in their lives to climb it. Most of them start climbing in the evening to witness the sunrise.

Where?

Mount Fuji is located on the border between Shizuoka and Yamanashi Prefectures. There are several climbing routes with the most popular Yoshida trail starting in Fujiyoshida.
More info about access and conditions can be found in below links.


URL

Japan Guide Outline
Official Web Site for Mount Fuji Climbing

It were the last months of my year of studies in Japan. My Belgian co-student was to depart a few months earlier and had one last thing on his to-do list: climb Mount Fuji. I wasn’t yet bitten by the hiking microbe, but trips to Norikura and Kamikochi had sparked my interest, so I was in. We needed some transport though which was conveniently provided by my slacking last year student Japanese friend. He invited a friend of his and the 4 of us headed out somewhere in the early afternoon so we’d be able to start climbing in the evening and arrive at the summit to witness the sunrise – a typical Japanese experience!

I didn’t prepare at all. I mean, I was smart enough to pack some warm clothing – it’s an almost 4000 meter high mountain after all – but I was just going in my sneakers and didn’t really have a clue about the timings and routes.
As it turned out, preparation wasn’t really necessary. By all means, prepare for any hike: boots, rain gear, layered clothing, maps, drinks, food, compass, emergency gear, … It’s actually a lesson that I learned the hard way at the Yatsubuchi Waterfalls. But in Fuji-san’s case…

OK, bring some good hiking shoes; that’s always better on such a rocky underground. And the clothing is just a no-brainer. Any high ground means wind and fickle weather conditions. But do you need a map? Do you need drinks and food?

The map: when climbing the Yoshida trail, just follow the hundreds of other hikers. Nowhere going up or down did I have the feeling that I was hiking in lush nature, let alone a mountain. At some points of the trail we had to wait before proceeding even though the trail is designed to be a one-direction route only! It felt more like Disneyland or Universal Studios.

The drink and food: I suggest you take some. But only to save some dime, because there is really no shortage of supplies during the whole trek. Mountain huts and even vending machines line up along the trail selling a great variety of overpriced refreshments. It’s really ridiculous at some points.

So I can honestly say: the way up isn’t worth it. It’s tiresome but not in a satisfactory way. You walk two steps and have to wait. At any point there is always someone pushing and shoving (although it remains all very polite). And the reward is a baffling lack of nature and views.




The way down… is even more horrible. It’s monotone all the whole *damn* way. It’s an endless continuation of switchbacks that are highly treacherous as they are covered with slippery gravel. It was an experience I’ll never forget because it was so damn horrible. Just remembering it makes me want to swear.




If you have read to this point and if you were wondering whether to hike up the mountain or not, I bet you’re not too avid to start the climb now. And I can’t blame you: I mean every word I wrote down.
On the other hand, I do agree with the Japanese saying that “a wise person climbs Mount Fuji once, only fools climb it twice”. And that has everything to do with the amazing view from the top if you reach it on time to witness the sunrise.
We had a deck of clouds but otherwise very nice conditions, and the upcoming sun was beyond beautiful. You have climbed 3776 meters, you’re tired and frankly a little irritated because even at the top it’s hard to find a spot to just sit down and relax. But then there is this most natural thing like a rising sun and all else just fades away. Truly breathtaking. This is why you make the climb, and this is what makes me recommend the climb despite all other conditions.

Once though. Not more.




>>More pictures<<


Yoris

Just dwelling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment