Winter Mount Kongo

Mount Kongo


What?

Mount Kongo (金剛山) is a very accessible 1125m high mountain in the Kansai region. While the highest point of Osaka Prefecture (大阪府) is located at the top ropeway station, the actual peak is located in Nara Prefecture (奈良県).
The mountain has some long history as can be read in the summary of below link, but today it’s just a popular hiking destination with easy access from urban Osaka. The absolute highlight of the many trails are several waterfalls that freeze over in winter.

Where?

Mount Kongo is located on the borders of Osaka and Nara prefectures. It has a myriad of hiking trails and as such many points of access.
I took the Kintetsu train (近鉄) from Osaka Abenobashi Station (大阪阿部野橋駅) to Tondabayashi Station (富田林駅) and from there hopped on the Kongo Bus (金剛バス) towards the Kongosan-tozanguchi bus stop (金剛山登山口バス停).
As a loop-hiked I went back with the Nankai Bus (南海) from the Kongosan Ropeway-Mae bus station (金剛山ロープウェイ前バス停) to Kawachi-Nagano station (河内長野駅). From there I trained back to Osaka using the Nankai train line.


URL

Japan Travel

Hiking Mount Kongo has been a while on my to do list. But I am a champion in procrastinating and here is why.
I’m not really a winter hiker. There is the obvious issue of the cold which for someone like myself who is notoriously sensitive to even a slight breeze is a big no-go, but there are also things like paths that are less visible due to snow or lack of vegetation. But another major reason is that it’s just not a mountain that speaks to my imagination.
Then why oh why was it on my to do list?
Because of the frozen waterfalls.

Today had the perfect conditions. Sunny and not too cold, but not as warm to undo the frozen snow of the ice cold previous days. And that is why this morning, I reluctantly stepped on the train dressed in 5 layers.

Apart from the waterfall I didn’t have much expectations. And those expectations seemed to be pretty much spot on. It’s not that I disliked the hike, but it didn’t have something extra apart from the falls.
The path towards them was pretty straightforward. Save for a few patches of ice, it was a breeze. Easy to walk, no steep ups, no need for the ropes that were attached here and there to help hikers.

A first frozen waterfall appeared somewhere to my right, but it seemed pretty inaccessible and not too appealing to be honest. A little further though the second frozen waterfall was exactly what I was looking for. A friendly local couple who walk mount Kongo a few times a month told me that today was the biggest they had seen it for this season (which doesn’t mean too much; last autumn was very dry and reduced the waterfall to almost half its size), so I considered my timing perfect.
For a moment I considered just turning around and head back to the bus stop. But that would be kind of stupid so I continued my way up, and I am glad I did.
Not that the hike became breathtaking, but the path converged with the river making the climb boulderous and tricky as I needed to evade icy patches and scan for possible paths along the way. Not breathtaking at any moment, but I did enjoy it very much as for me, these conditions were a first. I made very good and steady time without forcing my body into overdrive.



Eventually I climbed out of the riverbed and stumbled on the top.
The top is absolutely worthless with some pretty charmless temple buildings and right down ugly signs. Just look at that horrible clock that ruins the already pretty bland views from the top.
One happy highlight was the patch of forest with a huge flock of little bullfinches. As they are so accustomed to humans they come and eat right out of your hand. It makes a smile appear on everyone’s face.

After my relaxing time with the little birds I headed down another way. The descent into the forest was steeper than my ascent via the riverbed, but it was also bereft of any attractions like the frozen falls. Nevertheless it was enjoyable just like the way up.
All in all I quite enjoyed my short outing today. It wasn’t spectacular and I wouldn’t hike the mountain again soon, but the main attraction, the birds and just the joy of being outside despite the cold were enough to justify an congratulatory beer when I got home.


>>More pictures<<

Yoris

Just dwelling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment