Plan B Fail; Fukiware Falls

Fukiware Falls


What?

The Fukiware Waterfall (吹割の滝) is a peculiar one, shaped as a thin horseshoe. It is more wide than tall (30m against 7m) and despite being a waterfall worthy of the name, it’s nothing compared to the Niagara waterfalls to which the locals compare it. There is a short walking tour around the falls with s small temple, a few other waterfalls and an easy stretch through the forest.

Minakami (水上) is famed for its many outdoor activities such as rafting, kayak and canyoning.

Where?

Located in Gunma prefecture (群馬県), the Fukiware Falls are served hourly by a bus that departs from either Jomo-Kogen station (上毛高原駅) on the Shinkansen line or Numata station (沼田駅) on the Joetsu line (上越線).

Minakami station (水上駅) is also along the Joetsu line, and most providers of outdoor activities have either their office near the station, either they can pick you up.


URL

Numata Tourism Association
Japan Travel

I had two days in Numata. One of them I would spend on Mount Nikko-Shirane, and for the other I planned to indulgence myself in some nostalgia by joining an outdoor activity in nearby Minakami.

A few years ago, in 2014, I joined a bachelor party weekend of which canyoning was the biggest part. Apart from the excellent company I found myself in, I also rejoiced like a kid for my first encounter with such an activity, and I was impressed by the beauty of the nature. Now that I was in the neighborhood I wanted to apply for either kayak or rafting. Unfortunately the weather didn’t surprise me in a positive way like it did yesterday, and my plans literally fell in the water.

Of course, with the afterbirth of a super typhoon still lingering over the country, it wasn’t at all a surprise and I had prepared a plan B.

I seriously contemplated a trip to Oze National Park but decided against it as I wanted to walk here in good weather.
Waterfalls on the other hand are very photogenic in bad weather, and the nearby Fukiware Falls also figured on my way too long to-see-list.

I boarded a bus in the morning. Rain was falling, but it was just the right rain for a waterfall hike. The falls would flow strongly but not too strong, the light would be subdued by clouds but rain wouldn’t fall so much that I couldn’t get my camera out. I was in a good mood.
Despite this, I didn’t have too much expectations as I drove past the falls by bus the previous day, and the road showed signs of a touristic circus.

But it wasn’t that bad. The shops and restaurants were concentrated on the road ironically called “romantic road”, and the area around the falls was kept rather intact apart from a concrete walking path.
So that was all fine, but still I was hugely disappointed. Why? Well, here’s why.



I understand that if these falls attract a big crowd, that rules and safety measures are necessary. But the route was such that at not one single point along the way I was able to clearly see the falls. I think they are quite impressive, with its peculiar shape, the potholes next to it and the steep cliffs on the other side. I just couldn’t see it.
Following the walking trail, I crossed the bridge to a small island home to a small temple. This temple isn’t worth your time; a descent down the stairs to the shoreline might. But again: this area is sealed off.
So continuing on the walking route is all that’s left. The walk is rather bland, but the roaring noise of the falls next to you makes a bit up for it. You can’t see them though.

To make up for that last point, the smart organizers of the route placed three viewing points along the way.

Only to let these get so overgrown that it’s barely possible to catch a glimpse of the waterfall.
Nearing the end of the walking route I noticed several other falls, none of which were accessible and none of which could be viewed from a decent spot.

You won’t hear me say the Fukiware Falls aren’t impressive. The organization around it though is done in one of the worst ways I have encountered in Japan. What a letdown.


>>More pictures (Fukiware Falls)<<
>>More pictures (Minakami)<<

Yoris

Just dwelling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment