Nagoya's Industrial Tourism



What?

Nagoya (名古屋) is Japan’s 4th biggest city after Tokyo, Yokohama and Osaka. Not having the metropolitan attractiveness of Tokyo or the historical value of Kyoto, it has nonetheless a few noteworthy attractions like the reconstruction of the Nagoya Castle (名古屋城) or the industrial museums of Toyota which main seat is in the vicinity.

Where?

Nagoya is located quite centrally on the Honshu main island and easy to reach from both Tokyo as Kyoto/Osaka by shinkansen. The Odori Park (大通公園) is a long strip of greenery in the center of the city and can be reached by taking a subway from Nagoya to Sakae (栄). The Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology (トヨタ産業技術記念館) can be reached by taking the private Meitetsu Railway (名鉄) from Nagoya to Sako Station (栄生) (only 1 stop). From there it’s a 3 minute walk.


URL

Japan Guide Outline
Visit Nagoya
Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology

I have visited Nagoya numerous times but mostly work related. I once have visited the castle and Tokugawa museum but honesty forces me to say that I don't remember enough to write something about it. Just like my second visit to Inuyama, this Nagoya trip was completely unexpected and unprepared. I also did not have the time to seek out the best spots, so eventually I only saw the Odori park and the Toyota museum.

The Odori park is only a park in the Japanese sense. It's a long and broad boulevard with a stretch of green in the middle. It is absolutely not necessary to make time to visit it. It might be a pleasant alternative though for constantly traveling with subway or bus. Because even though the place has no touristic value whatsoever, it does make for a nice stroll in good weather. Events like the yearly Belgian Beer Weekend liven things up during some periods and the tv tower at night is reasonably romantic.

The Toyota Museum on the other hand is more than worth the effort though. For me a car is something on four wheels that moves. I don't even have a driving permit. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised that you don't need any interest in cars to enjoy this place.


The museum is divided in a weaving part and an automobile part. Both focus on the industrial evolution of the manufacturing process and do this in huge halls with more than enough exhibited items. The English signage is impeccable and the staff enthusiastic and extremely helpful, even though their English level doesn’t come anywhere near the quality of the signage. And it’s one of the few museums in Japan where it’s ok to take pictures. I thoroughly enjoyed the olden days weaving process demonstration and the part where the founding of the automobile factory was explained. I'm not saying I learned anything from the experience, but that's just because my brain and memory are faulty. I did really enjoy my visit so the entertainment value is top. And I'm sure other people will learn something as well, so that's also a "check" for educational value. Recommended!



>>More pictures<<

Yoris

Just dwelling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment