Kamikochi - The roof of Japan



What?

Kamikochi (上高地) is a valley in the Chubu Sangaku National Park (中部山岳国立公園) on the grounds of mountain city Matsumoto (松本市). The only thing it can offer is mountain scenery, but it does that marvelously, helped by a range of Japan’s highest and most beautiful mountains such as Yarigatake (槍ヶ岳 3180 meters), Hotakadake (穂高岳 3190 meters) and active volcano Yake-dake (焼岳 2455 meters). Kamikochi itself runs along the Azusa river (梓川), is around 18 kilometers long and is located approximately 1500 meters high.

Where?

Located in Nagano Prefecture (長野県), Kamikochi is only accessible from the end of April until mid-November. In winter the place is closed. It can also only be reached by bus or taxi. These run from both Takayama (高山) in Gifu Prefecture (岐阜県), but more frequently from Matsumoto. There are direct buses from the Matsumoto bus terminal, but most people take the train to Shinshimashima Station (新島々駅) where buses for various destinations are lined up. If you’re planning to go to nearby Shirahone Onsen (白骨温泉) or Norikura Kogen (乗鞍高原) you can hop on a bus at this station.


URL

Japan Guide Outline
Kamikochi

10 years ago I was studying in Matsumoto, a city surrounded by the Japanese Alps. With every day that passed, I loved the city more and more. One of the reasons is that stunning views of mountains – any of them – are around every corner. It took me quite a while though before I had the chance to go really out there. Not to the mountain tops – that’d take me even longer – but to the surrounding nature, the easily accessible highlands and waterfalls.

I subscribed to a course “hiking in Japan” that was taught at the time at the Shinshu University. I still have no idea why that was an available course, but I’ve never regretted it. It got me to places like Utsukushigahara Kogen, Narai and Norikura Kogen. And of course also to Kamikochi, one of the most beautiful places in Japan.

Kamikochi serves as starting point for a lot of people who want to climb any of the surrounding mountains, like I did when ascending Mount Yake. Back in the university days though, we just took one of the many pleasant walking courses. We started at the Taisho pond and kept on following the Azusa River, passed the famous Kappa bridge all the way to Myojin Pond. Then we just followed the river on the other bank.
I remember the stunning views and the walk on the planks on the right bank of the Azusa River. I also remember the whole things was fairly easy, so after 10 years I decided to take my parents along, as to show them why I fell in love with Matsumoto and it surroundings.


This time though we started at the Kamikochi bus terminal. From there it’s only a short walk to the Kappa Bridge – that’s the one which figures in every picture of Kamikochi. Despite hordes of tourists every day, the sight of the fairly simple bridge with a backdrop of impressive mountains is awe-inspiring. I’ve seen the scenery in all kinds of weather and it keeps on amazing me. Kamikochi is a beautiful place, and in the least people should make it to this spot.

The walk from here to the Myojin Pond is very straightforward and leads you through a forest. If you’re lucky the monkeys will keep you company around here.
To see the Myojin Pond you need to pay up, and as I’ve always refused that I can’t say whether it’s worth it or not. From the Myojin Pond back to the Kappa Bridge you walk on planks build over swampy grounds. Especially closing in on the bridge you can enjoy both marshlands and clear and running water. All in all this round trip with my parents took us around 3.5 hours, but you can do it faster. But no need to rush; the place is so beautiful that you can keep on staring. And I recommend the staring while eating one of delicious oyaki.



>>More pictures<<


Yoris

Just dwelling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment