Kumamoto



What?

Kumamoto (熊本) is the capital of Kumamoto Prefecture 熊本県 and is mainly known for its bear mascot Kumamon. The city has more to offer than its mascot though: it's a modern bustling city with a beautifully reconstructed castle and its huge castle grounds.
(Update 2024/2/4: following a major earthquake in 2016, many parts of Kumamoto Castle are still being reconstructed.)

Where?

Kumamoto is easily reached by train as it is a station on the Kyushu Shinkansen. The station is not close to the city center though so while it is possible to do the distance on foot, taking the tram or bus is faster and allows you to skip the grey drab in between.


URL

Japan Guide Outline
Kumamoto Tourism

Having visited Kyushu only during business trips, I planned a first tourist trip in the beginning of this year. First? Yes, because I will definitely return to explore some more.

Basically I wanted to see Takachiho, but as the weather was not cooperating with me, my first stop became Kumamoto. Taking the train from Osaka, it’s not close but very accessible. Not having done any research I was very pleased with the castle. I must admit I generally have prejudices about concrete reconstructions of castles, but the sheer size of the castle area is overwhelming. The castle is also beautifully reconstructed, and many other parts are still getting a makeover. The very slow pace shows that they give it the time and attention such a reconstruction needs. You could easily fill multiple hours at the castle grounds only. But as I did not have too much time I rushed towards Suizenji, a garden that should represent all post stations on the ancient Tokaido. It was a bit disappointing, but that might have to do with the season.



Rushing back towards the train station where I had to catch my bus to Takchiho I regretted not overnighting at Kumamoto though. It’s a bustling city with a very friendly atmosphere.




>>More pictures<<

Yoris

Just dwelling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment