Okinawa



What?

Okinawa 沖縄 is the southernmost prefecture of Japan as well as the main island of this prefecture. Having its history in both China and Japan, it is most famous for its tragic passage in World War II. Currently it is still the homeground of many American army bases, but it is also a popular tourist destination for its subtropical climate.
Most visitors do not go further than the limits of their resorts, but Okinawa can also boast several castles (ruins) and has a renowned aquarium.

Where?

Okinawa is the southernmost prefecture of Japan and can only be reached by either flight or a very long travel by boat.


URL

Japan Guide Outline

Usually I look for more northern areas and places with mild to cold climates to take trips to. I’d always think “if it’s cold put on an extra sweater, but if it’s hot you can’t take off your skin”, or “a whole day lying on the beach… then I can also lie a whole day on my sofa and enjoy television”.
That is why I never really had looked anything up about Okinawa. It’s not that I had a complete lack of interest because I was looking forward to this trip, but my mind was never fully prepared.

And thus it was a surprise to me how ugly the main city Naha was. I had an image of palm trees and beaches, but crossing the city by monorail the only thing I saw were ugly grey concrete buildings in despair. The trip by bus from Naha to our resort Kanucha Bay didn’t really do much to improve this vision: a crappy bus drove the whole time through a monotone landscape.
So when arriving at our resort I was a happy man. Why? Because there were palm trees, there was a beautiful beach and we had a room with bubble bath and view on the ocean.
I still wouldn’t be able to spend every minute on the beach, but I do understand now why it works so relaxing. The same with watching fish: the glass boat and the driver were from high quality, and all these little fish had something magical in this place. I usually try not to go on about hotels or resorts – because hey, they’re only for sleeping – but I can truly recommend Kanucha Bay.


It sounds a bit idiotic to go to an aquarium after seeing the real deal in the real ocean, but we did go to Chiraumi Aquarium as it is famous and as it has some bigger fish than the ones underneath the boat. The place was crowded but was broad enough not to feel packed like sardines. Anyone who likes aquariums will like this one also, no doubt. The dolphin show outside was also from a high standard.

More to my usual taste was the visit to the ruins of Nakijin Castle. There is little left of the castle, but the gate and walls still stand on the hilly grounds looking out over the ocean. As no one was there when we visited I was able to isolate my mind and stare aimlessly in front of me for half an hour. Intact or reconstructed castles can take your breath away, but ruins can be mesmerizing in the same way. Nakijin Castle Ruins did that to me.


The last day we went back to Naha to visit the beautifully reconstructed Shuri Castle. While not comparable to the feelings of the Nakajin Castle Ruins, Shuri Castle brings up a whole other array of emotions. The vivid red colours and valuable treasures inside can keep anyone fascinated. At the moment we visited a traditional dance took place in front of the gate. While not many visitors stopped to watch, the dance truly fitted the atmosphere of the castle.

After that we went to see what the “International Street” was all about, but truth to be told, this is a place made for Japanese. Not seeing the thrill of shopping does play a big part in my opinion though. But in general, the same stuff that is sold anywhere in Japan was to be found in this street that just had a few extra palm trees. I did find a cool t-shirt of a whale relaxing in front of a fan while drinking some soda. Got to give some credit for that.

All in all Okinawa was a great vacation. I will go back.



>>More pictures<<

Yoris

Just dwelling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment