Shirahama - more than a beach



What?

Shirahama 白浜 is an aptly named beach and onsen resort in the west of Wakayama Prefecture 和歌山県. Apart from its beach and onsen there are a few interesting rock formations, namely Senjojiki 千畳敷 (a thousand tatami mats) and Sandanbeki 三段壁 (3 walls).

Where?

While Shirahama Station 白浜駅 is a major station on the JR Kisei Line 紀勢線, you do need to ride a bus another 10 minutes to arrive at the city center from where you can do all attractions on foot.


URL

Japan Guide Outline
Wakayama Tourism

I was in dire need of a holiday, but due to the busy season I only could do a one-day trip from Osaka. My eye fell on Shirahama which is mainly a summer resort spot. I did not plan on relaxing on the beach, and as my trip was planned out of season I did not expect any crowd.

Strolling along the not-that-very-large beach, my expectations were met. The beach was lovingly empty, there was blue sky and quite a strong wind which I really like.
Eventually my goal was to see the many rock formations, starting with Senjojiki. There’s always something special about these rock formations that have withstood time and sea. With a formidable wind and rough waves, the impression is even more amplified.
However a little bit further along the coast there’s the even more impressive Sandanbeki. The coastline here is formed by staggering steep cliffs that were attacked relentlessly by big strong waves. I took my time to run along the coastline, far beyond the point where most tourists stop to turn around. I strongly suggest everyone to make their way through a small path in the forest in what seems the end of Sandanbeki, because the view is at least as impressive, but without any safeguards and other people to distract you.


For a bit of money you can also descend into a cave that used to be a hideout for pirates in the 15th – 16th century. Probably thanks to me being alone again, but the image I still have of the waves clattering into the cave is more than impressive.



>>More pictures<<

Yoris

Just dwelling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment