Kurobe Dam



What?

With 186 meters, Kurobe Dam (黒部ダム) is the tallest dam Japan has to offer. To build it, many people have lost their lives, and I can only assume the effect on the surrounding nature will also not have been neglectable. The dam is still standing though after more than 60 years and makes for an impressive view, not in the least thanks to the surrounding alpine beauty. The Kurobe Dam is part of the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route (立山黒部アルペンルート) which connects Toyama Prefecture and Nagano Prefecture through a variety of transport means.

Where?

Located in Toyama Prefecture (富山県), the dam can be reached from either Toyama (富山市) or Shinano Omachi (信濃大町) in Nagano Prefecture (長野県) – which is what I did. From Shinano Omachi Station you can take a bus to Ogizawa Station (扇沢駅) from where electric buses tunnel you through to the actual dam.


URL

Japan Guide Outline
Wikipedia

A lot of tourists will know Kurobe Dam without even realizing it. Many will already have seen impressive photographs of the snow corridor on the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route. With snow walls that go as high as 20 meters, this section of the Alpine Route has been long present on my to-do list. Unfortunately for me, it’s still there.

I have been close – literally – to the route though. Once I visited the Kurobe Gorge, which is close but not really doable without own wheels. Three times however I have visited the nearby Kurobe Dam which is part of Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route. Each time I approached through Nagano Prefecture though.

Let's just disregard that each time I visited the area, it was in the wrong season; I came in Autumn, the snow corridor can only be viewed in Spring. For viewing the Kurobe Dam though, Autumn is the correct choice as water is regularly released making for an impressive sight. Before taking in this magnificent sight though, one has to actually get to the dam. And that access alone is an attraction with its own worth. That is to say, the access from the Nagano-side. I can’t speak for the access from Toyama Prefecture – which I’m sure is equally impressive.


All three times I went by car to the Kanden Tunnel Bus. These vehicles are something halfway between a bus and a tram. They will swiftly carry you through a 5.4km long tunnel from Ogizawa Station to the Kurobe Dam itself. The dam is of course the main attraction. The best view is from a panorama platform with great views when water thunders down the other side of the dam. You can also enjoy a cruise on the artificial lake or walk along the shore and over a suspension bridge. Obviously you can also cross the dam itself, which is something you need to do in order to get to the Kurobe Cablecar. This cablecar runs entirely inside a tunnel between the dam and Kurobedaira. One time I even went further by taking a ropeway to Daikanbo station on Mount Tateyama at 2316 meters. I recommend going this far as it really has an inspiring view on the dam lake and the surrounding mountain ranges. This point is really close to the snow corridors, but as I had to return to my beloved Matsumoto, Daikanbo is the furthest I ever got.

While the snow walls are far more famous, Kurobe Dam in itself is definitely worth the visit. On a clear day the views are beautiful and the dam is awe-inspiring by its size alone. When water bursts from the lake to the other side it’s even more mesmerizing.
One day I’ll make sure to cross the whole route.



>>More pictures<<

Yoris

Just dwelling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment